Saturday, February 5, 2011

Countdown to 40 - Day Three

Day Three

Meg's 20th
My 20 year old daughter, Meg is just the age I was when I had her. She is busy being the college student, the choir member, planning a trip to Rome, the girlfriend, the roommate, the best friend and all the other things that come with be a 20 year old. I got to spend most of the evening with her today, which was great since I really haven't seen her since the new semester started. We grabbed some dinner and made a trip to Target, which was really fun. It's  not often I get to spend time with just one kid, so getting to spend most of the evening listening to her jabber about school and parties and choir and job hunting and her boyfriend was really a joy. This kid, she so has my heart. When she's home she drives me NUTS because she is sloppy and sleepy and just...a pain in the rear, honestly. But, then, she's gone and I can hardly stand how much I miss her. I guess that's God's way of preparing my heart for when she's moved out for good. I wanted to bring a bit of joy and surprise to her today, as I didn't really get a chance to do that for anyone yesterday, and I think I accomplished it - what kid doesn't like an unexpected offer of a free meal out and a trip to the store when they are broke? I also snagged an extra gyro for my sweet Douglas - he loves them and has not had one in years, so I think he'll enjoy it.

My Douglas and me - I was 25, he was 33!
Speaking of my Douglas, we are currently in one of those blissful married modes - just so happy. To see each other, to curl into a chair together when he gets home in the middle of the night and then talk until 3a.m., to work together with all these monkeys during the day, share those little moments. I love when this happens. I know you married folks know what I am talking about, right? That head over heels feeling that tends to ebb and flow. Loving it right now. It alone makes me feel like I am 26 instead of nearly  40. A LOT of that is due to my sweet, sweet guy and how he looks at me like I am the prettiest thing he's ever seen. Yeah, that can do a lot for a girl. Plus, he always smells amazing. That helps with the whole head over heels thing.

Jenna Rhi
And as for Jenna, yes, we painted nails, while I tried to drag information out of her. She's so quiet - I never know what is running through her head. but, we talked, we had a good time, and I got to be just my girl's mama for a little while. In the end, that's the most important thing. I love her more than anything in the world - so it's my job to try and understand her, be her manicurist from time to time. She ended up with a manicure, fresh bang trim and a braided headband, just for fun. Isn't she the sweetest thing?


So, I accomplished my goal for today, and had fun with my little baby girl, who is 10 years old, doesn't really like braids, and wanted blue nail polish - not pink (waaa! - where is my pink girlie girl?).





So, Day 4! Tomorrow I would like to get a start on what I think will be the key to my losing an acceptable amount of weight. I've had 8 babies, ya'll - I don't expect to look like Halle Berry in a bikini - I am just looking for healthy - not hot! So, I am going to do my best to cut out sugar, starting tomorrow. I was on a no sugar diet while pregnant with Yeb. I lost 35 lbs, and felt AWESOME. Sugar is bad stuff. Sadly, it is my worst habit. I am a sugaraholic. I really like it. Crave it. It's a sickness. It's a Disease!  Sorry - I had to. But really, sugar is my downfall. I do well in every other area. I don't eat too large of portions (anymore), I don't do chips or salty. It's really sugar. So, that is my goal going forward, starting tomorrow (right now I intend to polish off my Lindor Truffles in preparation for my sugarlessness). I'll let ya know how I do! Blessings, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blogger loves feed back, and a part time narcissist needs it! If you have a comment or question, I promise to get back to you right away, it's not like I have a houseful of kids to feed or anything!