Friday, February 4, 2011

Countdown to 40 - Day 2

Day 2

Day 2 was an interesting day, as it was filled with friends in our home on a day that we would normally be doing school, laundry, dishes and the like, because the electricity in our area has not yet been fully restored, and they were wanting showers, heat, and a cup of tea, for heaven's sake! I wish they had stayed longer, we all had so much fun with the diversion, and since the electricity is still not back in their house, I know it will be a long, chilly night!

As for my goal for  the day - to bring someone joy - I kind of wish I had been more specific with myself, because how do you measure such a thing?

Definition of JOY as defined by Merrium-Webster

1
a : the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires : delight b : the expression or exhibition of such emotion : gaiety
2
: a state of happiness or felicity : bliss
3
: a source or cause of delight
joy·less \-ləs\ adjective
joy·less·ly adverb
joy·less·ness noun

So, no, I am not entirely sure I managed that one. I mean, I played with the baby until he was squealing with laughter. I teased my Kolbe until I got some genuine smiles and giggles out of my serious son. I let Jonah go to a friends house for the afternoon and evening. Do those things count? I wonder if they cancel each other out with all the negatives of the day - making Luke sit in time out 800 times for crying over the Wii, or not letting Ben have a drink of water before bed (he keeps wetting), or not getting enough school done today. Who knows? I think I will have to be satisfied with the smiles of babies, the laughter of little boys and a visit with a friend as my joy for the day, but is that enough? That's ordinary joy, not the purposeful, 'make someone happy today' kind of joy I was shooting for. I wanted the 'go out of your way to make someone's day' kind of joy. But, the other thing I am trying to learn with this 40 days is not to drive myself up a wall over things all the time, so I will shoot for another goal, and perhaps incorporate this one into my day for tomorrow.

Goal for Day 3 - Spend some one on one time with Jenna, doing something that makes her happy. This will make me happy, knowing I am giving her something she needs, and getting to know my youngest daughter just a bit better. Knowing her, she will either want me to read to her, or do her nails. I am pretty happy either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blogger loves feed back, and a part time narcissist needs it! If you have a comment or question, I promise to get back to you right away, it's not like I have a houseful of kids to feed or anything!