Friday, March 21, 2014

A Mother's Thoughts on Tattoos, Piercings, Plugs...

You know, I am pretty aware that I am old fashioned. I know I am traditional and that a lot of folks won't care what I have to say on the topic of tattoos, piercings and oh, my - those awful ear gauge deals.
When you have a baby, and she (or he) is this perfect, beautiful baby, you always picture her that way. Anything that comes along to mar her beautiful skin breaks your heart a little. Over time of course kids get scars from trips and falls, surgeries and so many other ways, and each thing that mars your child's skin is a little bit of a heartbreak. You hope it won't show. You hope they won't be teased about it.
Then, they grow up and for some reason, get minds of their own, even though you still see a sweet, darling little six year old. With the cute hair and the sweet smile and yes, that unblemished skin.
Then they go and pierce something. Or get a tattoo. They don't understand that you don't understand why they would purposefully scar themselves with something unperfect. Something not of God, and not in keeping with the pristine and beautiful skin they were born with. Also, there is something that just - at least to me and I think many people who feel the way I do about tattoos and piercings - just looks unwashed, or at a minimum, classless.
It might sound silly. It might not be any of my business, but here are my thoughts on the whole thing...consider them guidelines to really, really consider before you permanently mark your body. Forever. Like, it's never going away without some sort of surgery.

1.Consider placement. After all, it is MY generation who will be doing the majority of the hiring for most of your career. If you must pierce or tattoo, keep it someplace easily covered. I promise, this is for your own good.
2. Please, please, please do NOT carve into your body ANYTHING you have ever seen on a bumper sticker, an internet meme or in a comic strip. Just don't. It's cheap.
3. Take a turn through Google images before you go and get what you consider to be the "oh so unique and one of a kind" tattoo. Chances are it's not that unique or one of kind. If you have to do it, at least be original about it. I really do get the desire to commemorate some person, event, etc. I would be inclined to buy you a plaque or set up a photo session, but I do get it. If you just HAVE to do it, at least make sure your new body art is as unique as you are.
4. Only add to your body things that add to your beauty  - that goes for men, too. If you do something that takes away from your natural beauty, people just wonder why, shake their heads and assume you have some issues. For real. That includes those huge gauge things I keep seeing, the barbells in people ears, eyebrows, noses and for heaven's sake, necks, etc.
5. Do your research! Make sure the place you go is clean - like uber clean. No mother wants to worry about you getting Hepatitis because you didn't check the place out. Also, make sure the person doing the tattoo/piercing actually knows what they heck they are doing. Is there anything worse than paying someone to permanently scar you BADLY? Just...do your homework. Make sure they know EXACTLY what you want.
How is this pretty? Pretty gross...
6. Think about what you will look like at 40, 50, 60 gah...80 with scars from piercings and gauges, and how saggy and absurd your tattoos will be. Just. Think. About. It.

Try to remember that you ARE AN ORIGINAL. There is no one else like you on the planet, so there is no need to tattoo, pierce or plug any of your parts in the name of originality. Look around - your entire generation (and some of mine, heaven help us) is carving chunks out of their ears, tatting themselves up and piercing everything. While many still seem to think it is cool, it is no longer new or original. You don't need to add anything to be original - you were made that way, in God's image.

plopculture.blogspot.com
Such a cutie - why, oh why the gauge?
Some may try to misconstrue my "perfect, unblemished skin" comments as vain or all about outer beauty - and it is to some extent. But, what I am getting at is - I think you should try to be the TRUE, unblemished version of yourself as much as possible. Because you were perfectly made. You cannot be improved upon by man made jewelry or 'artwork' - even if it is beautiful art - it cannot ever be as beautiful as what God made.
The tat is pretty, but not as pretty as she is...



Just something to think about. I am pretty sure I am gonna get flack for this one, but hey, it's been a while since I said something that was sure to get me into trouble soooooo.....

God bless!

4 comments:

  1. Its good to know I'm not alone in this type of thinking. If your going to get a tattoo , get it where it can be covered up. Those gauges and stuff are just gross to the nth degree. Its sad that people have to feel a need to just mar their bodies up and they don't think about the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I obviously agree. My little boy saw a guy with gauges at Target yesterday. He thought someone had injured the guy and wanted to know how he was going to get his ears fixed.

      Delete
  2. Hi Megan! My name is Heather and I wanted to know if you would be willing to answer my question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many times, people get tattoos to remind themselves of something. Like when you hear certain songs, or music that sparks a memory. Every time that someone looks at that tattoo, all of those memories come flooding. Our memories such a large part of who we are and our identity. I understand your viewpoint, my mother is extremely similar. However, everyone has different perspectives. I acknowledge tattoos as personal memories. I don't have one of my own and I only want one tattoo, it is one that I know I will never regret; however, I am waiting four years until I get it for my mother because she wants me to be sure. Tattoos are a choice that people make for themselves, and while others don't have to like them, I hope that people don't judge others simply because they have tattoo's. That says more about the person who is judging than the person who is being judged. Also, I have an industrial piercing, I got it because I have wanted one for the longest time, I waited a year before I got it, and now that I have it I love it. I think it is beautiful and is a part of my style, something I look at and enjoy. I do not put on makeup for boys so that they think I am pretty, I put on makeup because It makes me feel fabulous. I got my industrial bar not because I wanted to spite my parents, or look "badass", I got it because I think it is beautiful and it makes me smile when I look at it.
    Thank you for letting me share my perspective!

    ReplyDelete

A blogger loves feed back, and a part time narcissist needs it! If you have a comment or question, I promise to get back to you right away, it's not like I have a houseful of kids to feed or anything!